Re: add PKG_INSTALL_TRY_UPGRADE -- please review

Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 01:51:57PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>> I fundamentally disagree that pkg_add -U should set
>> unsafe_depends flags.
>
> Why?
> Shouldn't this flag be set at all, or should someone else set it?
> I think it is the right tool to set the flag if we say it should be set.

The "unsafe_depends" flag on a package means exactly that a dependency
of a package has been replaced (by a different version).  Whether that's
happened by make replace or pkg_add -U doesn't matter; it's still the
case after such an operation that the depending package wasn't installed
the way it is now, and thus things might not be ok.

This has clear semantics and many find it useful.