Re: pkgconfig changes

<635537.79128.bm%smtp111.sbc.mail.ne1.yahoo.com@localhost>

from Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost> Sat, 16 Apr 2016 18:43:07 -0700:

> Yeah, I think there's a slight disconnect here - the pkg_install that
> is used in pkgsrc had a huge number of substantial changes, followed
> by a rewrite in 2007, which resulted in there being a huge number of
> changes between the version that was used in FreeBSD ports and the
> pkgsrc variant. Same name, different implementations. I have no idea
> why FreeBSD did a rewrite, and didn't use the pkgsrc version.

> The last version of pkg I tried to compile on NetBSD had issues with
> the getpass functionality, and wouldn't compile out of the box (so the
> "known to work on" is a bit misleading).

> pkg doesn't keep nearly the same amount of metadata about packages
> that the pkgsrc pkg_install tools do (try pkg_info -b and pkg_info -B
> sometime), and has no openpgp signature verification, to name but two
> differences.

I never used pkg on NetBSD so far, only on FreeBSD, so I can't say with assurance how or if it works on NetBSD.

I also looked through Bitrig ports and didn't find pkg.

Outward appearance of FreeBSD pkg_* tools and NetBSD pkg_* tools, including /var/db/pkg structure, looked about the same.

Now FreeBSD, following switch to the new pkg, no longer uses pkg_* tools.

I also noticed NetBSD pkgsrc pkg version is behind FreeBSD ports' pkg version.

Tom