Re: pkglint fails to build on NetBSD 5

Tobias Nygren <tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 08:46:25 -0400
> Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> I'm updating packages on a NetBSD 5 box and pkglint fails to build
>> because of go14 Yes, I know that with the release of 7 (which is just
>> yesterday in NetBSD release terms), pkgsrc no longer really supports 5.
>> Were this some regular package, I wouldn't worry.  But for pkgsrc
>> infrastructure, not supporting NetBSD 5 seems like a real problem.
>
> Is pkglint really considered infrastructure though?

Well, sort of -- it's part of "pkg_develper" that people should expect to
be able to install.    And it used to just be there without trouble.

> Note the previous version of pkglint is still available in the tree.
> (sparc64 users are stuck with it even on 7.0, no "go" support yet)

Yes, and for other archs and systems, it gets included by default.

>> Hopefully this is just a built nit in go14 and easily fixed.
>
> time_t changed from 32-bit to 64-bit between 5.0 and 6.0.
> This might cause nontrivial problems for go binary bootstrap.

But go14 is not a binary bootstrap, or at least it looks like it
shouldn't be - that would make the go situation much worse than I
realized.

In any case, if the pkglint/go people could adjust the rules so that the
older pkglint is used on NetBSD 5 and older, that woudl be appreciated.

(And to me, this really points out the need to either get a portable
solution to go or transition pkglint away from go, both of which I
realize run into spare time issues.)