Re: bump of PGSQL/MYSQL_VERSION_DEFAULT

On Mon, 07 Mar 2016 12:56:19 -0500
Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:

> Given that the last pgsql release had 9. 1 2 3 4 5, it seems that 9.3 is
> not yet crufty.  We might well want to always stay one major version
> behind in the default, since for pkgsrc users not making a choice,
> stability seems to the most important thing.

If the PGDG says it's production ready I see no reason to second guess
them. Especially one minor release in. I would second guess many
upstreams with less stringent software quality.

> Another thought is whether it's better to jump 2 versions less often, or
> 1 every year.   Updating of course is work for each user with the
> dump/restore.  But probably the real work and unknown is fixing up sql
> for tightened error checking.

I'd say less often is better. Bumping means recursive bumps, repo and
dependency churn. BUT if we're going to go for 9.5 at some point, I'd
prefer sooner rather than later. When we bump, we should go to the
version that has the most remaining life left.

We are half way through the official 9.3 life cycle, so there's no
immediate rush to update. OTOH updating every other year seems more
than reasonable to me, and it's about that time now.

-Tobias