Re: Implement dash as bootstrap shell

On 10/12/15 13:23, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
* On 2015-12-10 at 00:14 GMT, David Sainty wrote:

I really don't see much benefit in having a patched version of dash that
behaves differently to every other version of dash, since the very way it
would behave differently is also such a point of contention with the dash
maintainers for some reason (and therefore the patch will never make it into
"standard dash").

How about making gen-transform.sh work with the standard dash behaviour
instead - perhaps by using "printf" instead of "echo" in gen-transform.sh
under dash?
Yeh, as I wrote in a later mail this is what I'm currently working on.
I now have an Ubuntu 14.04 machine running bulk builds with its native
/bin/dash, and will work on this branch (which already has the printf
fix):

Oh, in that case: Good work :)

Once we're done with the branch we can revisit this.  As for pdksh, I
will for completeness perform a new bulk build with it to see if it
fares any better.  As I mentioned earlier, in previous testing it was
horribly broken, at times unable to even build lang/perl, so it will
be interesting to see if this is fixed.  Given it was never able to
perform a full build there was no chance to do any meaningful
performance comparison, so that will also be useful.

That does sound a bit more broken than I've experienced, but I currently set SH= and (perhaps redundantly) CONFIG_SHELL= to pdksh on Linux systems, and have no current fallout for the subset of packages I use.