Re: Question: wip, git, ssh and permissions

On 25 August 2015 at 13:43, Taylor R Campbell
<campbell+netbsd-tech-pkg%mumble.net@localhost> wrote:
>    Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 22:23:56 +0000
>    From: Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-netbsd%yahoo.com@localhost>
>
>    On 24 August 2015 at 22:21, Hubert Feyrer <hubert%feyrer.de@localhost> wrote:
>    > On Mon, 24 Aug 2015, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
>    >>
>    >> If I connect to git using ssh under my regular non-root account, will
>    >> I be able to transfer data, or should I connect using a root account,
>    >> in which case I'll have to make another keypair under root?
>    >
>    >
>    > Though shallst never work as root unless absolutely neccessary.
>    > cvs and git most likely do not call for root.
>
>    I am sorry, but if you want to write to /usr/pkgsrc you need root,
>    don't you? Otherwise you have to "chown" the whole tree to your
>    regular user.
>
> You don't have to use /usr/pkgsrc.  I never do -- I always use
> ~/pkgsrc/$BRANCH/pkgsrc (read-only, alongside
> ~/pkgsrc/$BRANCH/pkgsrc-cvs for the writable tree,
> ~/pkgsrc/$BRANCH/pkg for LOCALBASE, ~/pkgsrc/$BRANCH/distfiles, &c.).

The pkgscr documentation is confusing and intimidating and scares even
the best-intentioned away.

If the official docs state that the standard place to dump your cvs is
/usr/pkgscr, then they put a dollar sign before the command line, I
might think that I am ok with using the non-root user to manipulate
/usr/pkgscr, but it's obviously not the case.

So I might wonder what I am doing wrong and either use root or just
leave the whole thing to the initiated.

I can understand it's a pain to update the docs but if there was a
separate wiki as a playground for us plebs, this would potentially
make the world a better place.

Same as we have wip as a bazaar model vs the pkgscr cathedral, we
could have a wip-wiki vs the cryptic and frankly stale NetBSD official
documentation.

This could reside on the same server as the new wip.