Re: Question: wip, git, ssh and permissions

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 6:28 PM, Hubert Feyrer <hubert%feyrer.de@localhost> wrote:

>>> Though shallst never work as root unless absolutely neccessary.
>>> cvs and git most likely do not call for root.
>>

>> I am sorry, but if you want to write to /usr/pkgsrc you need root,
>> don't you? Otherwise you have to "chown" the whole tree to your
>> regular user.
>

> Yes
> :-)
>
> For the systems that I use pkgsrc and that I actually do have root
> privileges, I have /usr/pkgsrc as a symlink somewhere to my $HOME.
> On the other systems I just enjoy that pkgsrc can be anywhere,
> and even used without root privileges for most things.
>

>  - Hubert

mkdir -p /var/pkgsrc/scratch
mkdir -p /var/pkgsrc/distfiles
mkdir -p /var/pkgsrc/packages
chown -R myuser /var/pkgsrc

/etc/mk.conf:
PKGSRCDIR = /usr/pkgsrc
WRKOBJDIR = /var/pkgsrc/scratch
DISTDIR = /var/pkgsrc/distfiles
PACKAGES = /var/pkgsrc/packages

/usr/pkgsrc can be owned by whoever since all writing will be done
outside of it.