Re: OWN_DIRS prunes /var/tmp (PR 35340)

On Sun, Aug 09, 2015 at 11:27:33PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 09, 2015 at 10:55:56PM +0000, dholland%NetBSD.org@localhost wrote:
>  > I can replicate this with a simple test package.
>
> The problem is not that the wrong things are listed at the end of
> +DIRS; the problem is that +DIRS uses rmdir -p to remove dirs, so that
> any empty ancestor directories are pruned regardless of whether pkgsrc
> owns them or not.
>
> This could be changed; however, because +DIRS also uses mkdir -p, this
> may cause intermediate dirs created by pkgsrc to get left around.
>
> I note that +DIRS sets MKDIR to mkdir -p, and then uses ${MKDIR} -p in
> places, suggesting that this may not have been originally intended.
>
> It seems to me that the right fix is to not use either rmdir -p or
> mkdir -p, and to fix packages that don't explicitly create ancestor
> directories.

I really disagree on this. It adds a lot of complexity for little to no
gain. Using OWN_DIRS or co to create directories under /var/tmp just
seems to be wrong and requiring intermediate directories to be created
by hand makes it harder to set e.g. a config directory to something
which doesn't exist yet.

Joerg