Re: Thoughts about bringing back old bulk build system

   Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 18:22:28 +0000
   From: David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost>

   There's also the scheme I proposed a while back: using a cross-chroot
   where most of the bins are native and the compiler is a
   cross-compiler, coupled with kernel support for transparently invoking
   an emulator to run target binaries. Then the build would mostly be
   fast, but things like miniperl would run transparently.

Something like this has been done in FreeBSD ports using qemu user
emulation -- if I recall correctly, there was a talk at EuroBSDcon
2014 about it.