gpg1 vs gpg2 [was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/security/gnupg2]

   Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 07:42:46 -0400
   From: Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>

   Sort of realted, are we at the point where the gnupg2 package should
   build gpg, and gpg 1 should be deprecated?  I'm not clear on why we are
   still using gpg1.

gpg1 actually still works without unnecessary broken moving parts.

Part of the documented, intentional interface for how gpg2 works is:
`You put ``export GPG_TTY=$(tty)'' in your .bashrc in order to make
gpg-agent work.', because the internal architecture is so byzantine
that it can't figure out where to ask for your passphrase if you don't
tell it.

Of course, last I tried, gpg-agent with pinentry-curses was so broken
that

(a) using it at the same terminal as gpg2 went into an infinite loop,
(b) running it under a dedicated terminal without detaching failed to
start, and
(c) running it under a dedicated terminal in the background with
enabled it to print a prompt at that terminal...and then keyboard
input went into the foreground process of the terminal, e.g. the
shell.  Which is not a useful place for my passphrase to go.