Re: DEPENDS semantics (was: removing useless dependencies)

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 03:43:26AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 11:17:40PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>  > > Again: the pattern itself provides the most natural ordering. Anything
>  > > else violates the principle of least surprise.
>  >
>  > For the most common existing use case, the ordering would be
>  > counterproductive. Viz.:
>  >
>  > DEPENDS+=	   gtar-base-${PKGVERSION}{,nb*}:../../devel/gtar-base
>  >
>  > by your argument it should prefer gtar-base-1.2.4 to gtar-base-1.2.4nbX.
>
> As I already said once, because we tend to write in ascending order it
> might make sense to pick from the right, not the left. Or one could
> easily rewrite as gtar-base-${PKGVERSION}{nb*,}
>
> However, this particular case really ought to be written like this:
>    gtar-base>=${PKGVERSION}<${PKGVERSION}nb999

I really don't get why you guys still have ../../ in the path part.

Basing depends off the PORTSDIR  simplifies everything and is the way
to do things.

Heck, you can probably tweak things to match the path part vs
../*  as a conditional, so that the migration would be painless.