Re: filing patches upstream (legal)

Niclas Rosenvik <nros%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> QT has a cla[1] where one licenses the contributed code to the qt
> project.
> What do the creators of these patches think about sending their
> patches upstream? (I hope they read this list)
> Some of them are just "defined(__NetBSD__)" here and there.
> From a copyright perspective, is it okay for me to send these patches
> upstream?
>
> /Niclas Rosenvik
>
> 1. https://codereview.qt-project.org/static/cla_individual.html

That's a good question.  It has always been obvious to me, but at the
same time I can't clearly point to where it's written, that
contributions to pkgsrc itself (the files checked in) are generally
under a BSD license, either 2 or 3 clause.   The status of patches to
code under other licenses is less clear, but fairly clearly somewhere
between BSD and the other project's license.

A CLA, however, is something else.  Are they asking people who submit
patches to sign one, or is it just that they will accept patches under
LGPL, or ?