Re: pbulk on AIX woes

On 25 April 2015 at 01:00, Sevan / Venture37 <venture37%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> On 24 April 2015 at 20:14, Sevan / Venture37 <venture37%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>> bmake: don't know how to make pbulk-index. Stop
>> pbulk-scan: realloc failed:
>
> which is from pkgsrc/pkgtools/pbulk/files/pbulk/lib/alloc.c
>
> void *
> xrealloc(void *buf, size_t len)
> {
> void *ptr;
>
> if ((ptr = realloc(buf, len)) == NULL)
> err(1, "realloc failed");
> return ptr;
> }

Ok, so this is being attempted on a AIX 7.1 LPAR with 2GB of RAM &
2CPUs on a Power8 host. Indeed the system was running from a lack of
memory, between the Tivoli Java process & RMC which are running by
default on this IBM image there was less than 128MB free.
RMC is the AIX Resource Management Controller.
There's an advisory published regarding the issue
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg1IV51077
I just stopped RMC & Tivoli which gave me around 500MB RAM free &
fired up a bulkbuild.
Scan stage failed at the same point with the same error, I was
monitoring the status of free memory in nmon & when the failure
happened, there was 352MB RAM free.
The lowest the amount of free ram went to during the scan was 348MB.

Sevan / Venture37