Re: pkgsrc/audio/pulseaudio stability improvement

On 18 June 2014 18:55, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
>> pkgsrc/audio/pulseaudio under NetBSD uses OSS backend (dev/sound).
>> But I have found using /dev/sound causes bad audio output.
>> Using /dev/audio improves quality of audio output.
>
> Is pulseaudio trying to use 8-bit mu-law encoding?  sound(4) says that
> /dev/sound and /dev/audio are the same except for /dev/audio sets the
> mode to mu-law on open.   So I wonder if this is just hiding a bug where
> pulseaudio fails to configure things.
>
> I don't object to this change, but don't feel I understand what's going
> on well enough and the consequences to others to nod.  It would be good
> to hear from others who use pulseaudio what they think.

According to the wiki:
https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/using_pulseaudio/#index2h2
I've configured it to use device="/dev/audio0"

Presumably audio and audio0 point to the same card. I've never had a
problem ever since.

Would this patch modify /usr/pkg/etc/pulse/default.pa as well?

--
Ottavio