Re: pkgsrc/audio/pulseaudio stability improvement

Ryo ONODERA <ryo_on%yk.rim.or.jp@localhost> writes:

> pkgsrc/audio/pulseaudio under NetBSD uses OSS backend (dev/sound).
> But I have found using /dev/sound causes bad audio output.
> Using /dev/audio improves quality of audio output.

Is pulseaudio trying to use 8-bit mu-law encoding?  sound(4) says that
/dev/sound and /dev/audio are the same except for /dev/audio sets the
mode to mu-law on open.   So I wonder if this is just hiding a bug where
pulseaudio fails to configure things.

I don't object to this change, but don't feel I understand what's going
on well enough and the consequences to others to nod.  It would be good
to hear from others who use pulseaudio what they think.