Re: Apache should never be a mandatory dependency

On Fri, 16 May 2014 13:10:09 +0200
Volkmar Seifert <vs%dimensionv.de@localhost> wrote:
> While building a few packages, I noticed that while some already have
> learned that there are more web-servers out there than just apache,
> some still pull in apache without leaving the user a choice.

See my fix to www/dojo.  Not only does it not need Apache, it doesn't
really need a web server at all.  The files could be used on an NFS
mounted drive.  The web server may not even run on that server.  I
simply removed the dependency there.

> My suggestion to a general solution to this problem is to introduce
> some kind of "global option", like this:
>
> PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS= apache

Sounds like it could get more complicated with special cases.  I think
that if someone is building roundcube or something like that then they
probably already have a web server where they need it.  Unless it
requires a specific version why include the dependency at all?  And if
it does require a specific version, it would probably requires a
specific web server anyway.

If a package generated CSV files, would we include a dependency on
LibreOffice?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost