Apache should never be a mandatory dependency

Hello everyone,

While building a few packages, I noticed that while some already have
learned that there are more web-servers out there than just apache,
some still pull in apache without leaving the user a choice.

As I am using nginx myself, instead of Apache, this is a really
annoying thing. Some packages have already adopted to this, and offer
option to leave apache out of the picture. Examples for this are

www/drupal
www/wordpress

An example of forcing the apache is

mail/roundcube

My suggestion to a general solution to this problem is to introduce
some kind of "global option", like this:

PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS= apache

for including apache (could be default), and

PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS= -apache

for excluding it. All packages that think they require a web-server
then should honor this.
It's kind of apache-specific, because apache seems to be the one server
that is generally the server of choice for all packages, opposite to
lighttpd, nginx and whatever other server is out there.

I do understand that a web-server should be included in these packages,
but I dislike being unable to tell the package "let this be my own
concern" or "Look, I am using this web-server, be satisfied with that".

What do you think?

Volkmar

--
http://www.dimensionv.de/