Re: pkgsrc-2013Q4 freeze started

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 09:04:54PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
 >>> My suggestion is "make the rule more specific to avoid post-commit flame."
 >>
 >> My suggestion is "think before committing, and if in doubt, ask pmc".
 >
 > There was no doubt that updating leaf packages didn't require
 > prior approval per the latest announcement:
 > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2013/03/17/msg010920.html
 > so the complaint against MAINTAINER's update looked just bikeshed.
 >
 > > It's worked fine for me for a number of years now
 >
 > It failed recently for others.

The most fundamental rule is: don't break the stable branch. If you
can't see that a last-minute unannounced/undiscussed update to firefox
would cause people to be concerned that the stable branch might be
broken... I'm not sure I can explain any better than I already have.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost