Re: pkgsrc-2013Q4 freeze started

wiz@ wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 12:22:14AM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> > > pkgsrc is now frozen in preparation for the 2013Q4 branch.
> >
> > Could you please mention more specific what kind of changes
> > needs prior approval during freeze?
> >
> > There was a vague complaint in the previous freeze
> > and it discouraged certain developers.
>
> Ok, I'll try again.
>
> Not allowed:
>
> * no updates to infrastructure (mk/) without PMC approval
> * no updates to non-leaf packages with PMC approval
>
> Allowed:
>
> * patching packages to fix build breakage -- but please take care to
>   not break other platforms. In case of any doubt, send patches for
>   review first.
> * security updates -- but be careful here as well
>
> If necessary, leaf package updates are ok, but not recommended --

Well, "ok but not recommended" seems more confusing than before.

> let's try fixing stuff instead, we can update all packages again in ~2
> weeks.

Please consider stable branch users and binary packages users.

If no updates are committed during these two weeks, they won't be
able to get new versions for three months, while small breakages
in leaf packages can be easily fixed by pullups in any time.

I wonder if we can have simple but defined rules for leaf packags like:
- no updates are allowed in the last two (or three) days of freeze
- "minor" updates is allowed
- "major" updates require prior approval (by MAINTAINER or PMC)
 - all updates must have "complete changes list" in the commit log
- any update that breaks build will be reverted silently
etc.

> Is that clear enough? If not, please mention which cases you want
> stated more explicitly.

I have following changes in the queue:

qemu-1.7.0:
 All changes are almost mechanical, but I've tested it only on
 NetBSD/i386 6.1, and it's a "major" release (bumped from 1.6.1).
 https://gist.github.com/tsutsui/7975864

mlterm-3.3.2 (will be released in this year):
 Most changes are bug fixes from 3.3.1, but it will also contain
 new features for 4bpp framebuffers on NetBSD/luna68k and OpenBSD/luna88k.
 (it's so annoying to build pkgsrc-HEAD on slower machine)

---
Izumi Tsutsui