Re: Circular dependency errors

Le 08/08/13 09:53, Jonathan Perkin a écrit :
* On 2013-08-08 at 07:59 BST, Hauke Fath wrote:

At 3:01 Uhr +0000 8.8.2013, Paul Ackersviller wrote:
The most common cause is when you don't use an external compiler, and
of course you can't build lang/gcc* without first building its
dependencies, which need a compiler...

Not the problem here, as I've never even been able to build gcc from pkgsrc.

What problems did you run into?

I tried building gcc4{6,7,8} on OpenIndiana (SunOS 5.11) recently, and for
all three ran into a weird error where something in the build appeared to
ascend to lang/gcc??/.. and work through all the subdirectories in lang
with lots of make errors. The same build on netbsd-6 worked fine.

Has anybody successfully built lang/gcc?? on SunOS derived OSes recently?

Yes, our SmartOS packages are entirely based on gcc46/gcc47.  I'd
suggest that you simply install my illumos packages:

   http://www.perkin.org.uk/pages/pkgsrc-binary-packages-for-illumos.html

and use the gcc47 from there to bootstrap your pkgsrc.

I can confirm the difficulty of bootstrapping on openindiana...
(a bit less with omnios)...

In addition, after bootstrapping and building gcc47, you will need to rebuild (with pkgsrc gcc47) a number of packages if you want to "really' have relatively pure package source, otherwise by default you will have a mix (due to, among others, perl and libtool being built in order to build gcc).

It is also possible to do gcc48, although there are a few more hoops to go through (primarily in order to get gcc-go built), which I've been running since quite a while.

Hoping by year-end that it will be much simplified (at least on omnios with some better builtin support).

As Jonathan indicates, I believe SmartOS simplifies this as pkgsrc is more or less provided.