Re: PKGSRC_SETENV?= ${SETENV} -i

Amitai Schlair <schmonz%schmonz.com@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Aleksej Saushev <asau%inbox.ru@localhost>
> wrote:
>
>> If we want to continue with "env -i" then we ought to amend
>> documentation to use ":=" consistently and send announcement
>> alerting users that after some change their mk.conf may not
>> work as it used to.
>>
>> Or we should find another way that doesn't break user configuration
>> in _truly_ random fashion.
>
> I think this change was a good idea in general. I understand your
> concern that some user configurations will break. Since this is
> pkgsrc-current, we should feel free to make invasive changes as long
> as we're sure to usefully document in the quarterly branch how users
> should deal with it. Here's a stab at reporting which settings people
> should examine and probably fix:
>
> $ MKFILES=/etc/mk.conf; printenv | cut -f 1 -d = | while read envvar;
> do grep -w -- "${envvar}" ${MKFILES}; done

There exists a lot of use cases where environment variables simplify
interaction with pkgsrc a lot. Clearing the whole environment makes all
of those much harder for a minimal gain. Blindly stripping environment
under pretense that users put garbage into there is wrong way to address
the real problem which, I think, is unsetting a couple of variables
that select cross-compilation mode in GNU configure.

--
BECHA...
   CKOPO CE3OH...