Re: PKGSRC_SETENV?= ${SETENV} -i

On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 08:34:54PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
 > > I think that this is very bad idea.
 >
 > I think it's a good idea.
 >
 > Random environment variables may affect configure scripts, and we want
 > to avoid this as much as possible -- and this is a good step in this
 > direction.

concur

 > > First, this breaks a lot more than it fixes. PKGSRC_SETENV is
 > > used in more places than where we want to have "extra" clear
 > > environment.  In particular, in fetch and extract logic. The
 > > latter breaks, for instance, installations of all pkgsrc users
 > > who use HOME or other environment variables to control location
 > > of DISTDIR and PACKAGES. There exist other cases for users who
 > > may not need empty environment during building stages.
 >
 > Please use the PACKAGES and DISTFILES variables in /etc/mk.conf if you
 > really want this.

I suspect he means that if you have

PACKAGES=$(HOME)/pkg/packages

that the $(HOME) may not be evaluated until it's on the wrong side of
the cleared environment.

However, if this is true it seems like a bug, and also should be
readily worked around by assigning PACKAGES with the := operator.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost