Re: switching remaining platforms to modular X by default

On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 04:30:46PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > > I still think that NetBSD should provide X servers. But that's an
> > > orthogonal problem to the question if we use the X libraries that are
> > > installed in /usr/X11R7 when building packages.
> >
> > Not really. Shipping a lot of libraries and programs with NetBSD that
> > never get used would IMHO be silly.
>
> Yes, it's a waste. We probably should remove the non-server parts of
> xsrc.
>
> I don't see what your proposal is though how to go forward.

I don't have a proposal. I'm just pointing out that your proposal of
making modular X11 the default but keep native X11 support is not
going to work.

It seems that these are the only two options that will work:

1.) Either native X11 stays the default for NetBSD and other appropriate
    platforms and we support it properly. This would e.g. require to
    fix the problem caused by the latest "pango" update (which is *not*
    fixed).

2.) We completely stop supporting native X11 on any platforms. This
    requires coordination with the "xsrc" maintainers of the base system.

        Kind regards