Re: BUILD_DEPENDS and external pkgsrc tools

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 07:49:56PM +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
> Aleksey Cheusov just alerted me to a problem that my recent changes
> for cross-compilation causes:  External tools operating on pkgsrc may
> want to examine BOOTSTRAP_DEPENDS, BUILD_DEPENDS, and DEPENDS in order
> to find all dependencies, but now there's an extra TOOL_DEPENDS which
> they have to know about.

I don't think cross-building is going to be possible without separating
into TOOL_DEPENDS and BUILD_DEPENDS, and I think it's a backwards step
to conflate them.

> He suggested that for native builds, we should just move everything in
> TOOL_DEPENDS to BUILD_DEPENDS to avoid breaking these tools.  I'm not
> sure yet where this would go.
>
> Thoughts?  How stable are these pkgsrc variables/internals supposed to
> be?

Do we know how many external tools are involved here?

I'd really like to provide help for them to move to the new
cross-building world.

Regards,
Alistair