Re: ftp enhancements

(moving from developers@ to tech-pkg@)

Le 18/03/13 16:20, diro%nixsyspaus.org@localhost a écrit :
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:08:25AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

The issue is that pkgsrc has to run on all systems.  So what we really
need is some mechanism to know about each platform's capability and do
the right thing.  It used to be that https fetch was odd, and now it
isn't, so this probably needs some work.

This was basically my next pair of questions. If we aren't currently handling
this in fetch.mk, could we put it on the task list for next quarter? It would
obsolete the necessity for FETCH_USING=curl/wget in many package Makefiles for
https/ftps URLs. Then, we could also add a warning to pkglint to let the
developer know that such an addition is not necessary anymore and update the
documentation to clarify this.

Why is there so many packages using TLS/SSL then? Unless we provide a list of acceptable certificates or CAs to validate server-side certs, having SSL/TLS does not bring any real benefit.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
The NetBSD Foundation