Re: missing desktopdb.mk

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM, David Holland
<dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> I've been thinking, also, that this is a case where it's probably
> better to be conservative: if an update causes a .desktop file to need
> this thing to be run, and we carefully pruned it from all cases where
> it wasn't explicitly needed, there's nothing to bring the needed
> update to anyone's attention, and the desktop mime stuff will then
> fail intermittently for some people and not others depending on what
> else they install and when. That isn't a good thing.

It certainly makes sense to be conservative here... but your
suggestion later is equally good.

> I know desktop-file-utils is annoying because it depends on glib2.
> Maybe it's feasible to provide an alternative to this particular tool
> that doesn't?

No, it's not feasible.

> Alternatively, maybe it's practical to write a post-install check that
> inspects .desktop files?

This should be fairly easy to do, and I think it's a good idea.
Prevent the "make package" stage from succeeding if this check fails,
and then we would spot all failures easily.

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv