Re: Packages with non-distributable distfiles (was: CVS commit: pkgsrc/cad/simian-docs=

On 20 May 2012 13:47, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost>
wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 12:19:36PM +0200, Edgar Fuß wrote:
>> > To bring this issue forward, I put the following suggestion up for
>> > decision making:
>> >
>> >     Packages are to be removed from pkgsrc, when the distfiles are not
>> >     distributable and cannot be obtained for a period of one full quarter
>> >     branch. Packages with manual / interactive fetch must have a
>> >     maintainer and it is his/her responsibility to ensure this.
>> But if the problem is that the distfile is non-distributable, why don't you
>> simply record precisely that in the package's Makefile, e.g.
>>       DISTFILE_NONDISTRIBUTABLE= YES
>> or
>>       DISTFILE_NONDISTRIBUTABLE_REASON= "Upstram author has gone mad"
>> and make that abort the fetch phase if the distfile is not already present
>> locally and then skip these packages in the bulk builds?
>
> The issue is the combination of non-redistributable and missing from
> upstream. Compare this with the situation with JDK/JRE. They are not
> redistributable, but can be obtained manually with some ease. I also
> don't have problems e.g. with packages where you have to first buy a
> license like Tivoli, as long as there is a maintainer taking care of
> updates etc.

After that clarification I'd like to support Joerg's proposal. If
anyone wants to continue to maintain a
package with a non available, non legally distributable distfile, they
can do so in pkgsrc-wip.