Re: make modular X11 the default on NetBSD

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger
<joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:

> That's fine for someone who knows exactly what he is doing and how to
> fix things when they go wrong. The behavior we have right now makes at
> least sure that "delete all pcackages and re-install them from ftp.n.o"
> has an almost 100% chance of giving you a consistent build.

But it also means that binary packages are non-deterministic, even if
they come from the same server.  The version identifier in the package
does not guarantee that it is the same as somebody else's, which is
bad for reproducibility and debugging.

And, by the way, "delete all packages and reinstall" should never be
the way to fix a problem.  If we ever have to tell that to somebody,
our binary packages are just bogus and need proper fixing.

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv