Re: make modular X11 the default on NetBSD

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:26 AM, Jeremy C. Reed <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost>
wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2012, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
>
>> not only required and provided shared libraries are collected (like we do
>> with
>> REQUIRES and PROVIDES) but all *symbols* required and provided by every
>> executable and shlibs in the package. Package manager (modified apt4rpm)
>> in turn makes additional consistency per-symbol checks. More over
>
> Is this also included in packages that are provided to end users?

AFAIK yes. In article I read a few years ago they raised problem of too
big metainfo files. They solved it by using N-bit hashes
instead of full symbol names (recall C++!). Unfortunately I saw this article
only in Russian. We anybody is interested I can ask if English version
is available.

>> Rebuilding all packages recursivelly, especially in quarter branches,
>> costs too much taking into account limitations in the hardware.
>
> Maybe just building all from start each quarter the first time is good
> and then for the next three months only rebuild as needed.

Yes, this makes sense.