Re: CVS commit: wikisrc/projects/project

Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 03:33:06AM +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
>> "Bootstrapping" OpenSSL is part of problem, right.
>> I still think that it would be much better if TLS was treated just like
>> curses:
>> if a platform doesn't have it, that should be treated as an exception,
>> rather than what we do now (treating all platforms like not having TLS
>> support).
>
> net/fetch on NetBSD does have TLS support by default...

Then we should make it default fetch method and stop using tricks when
dealing with HTTPS sites.

>> Having TLS support in tnftp is useful even outside pkgsrc context since
>> tnftp is in NetBSD base.
>
> True, but then it's not a pkgsrc project :)

I don't see the problem in recategorizing it, but if it is not going to
enter pkgsrc, we shouldn't make it default fetch method.

We rely on tnftp as fetch tool heavily, thus we should either adapt it
to reality (which is growing GitHub community and other HTTPS sites)
or stop using it. I don't mind any of two ways. I propose to adapt tnftp
because it is already part of NetBSD base and default pkgsrc fetch method.
Adding TLS to it is less politically charged than switching both, pkgsrc
and NetBSD, to another "file transfer program."

Another alternative is playing other tricks like detecting HTTPS master site
and switching to another method on the fly. I don't mind implementing it
that way either, but that seems more tricky and more fragile.

--
HE CE3OH...