Re: FireFox 10.0.1 pkg for testing

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 01:14:36AM +0100, John Marino wrote:
> on the cdefs, is this actually a bug in cdefs or is a failure of libkvm
> to explicitly export their symbols?

IMHO it is a bug in cdefs (or I looked at the wrong headers), if the
convention is to wrap symbols for shared system libraries just in
__BEGIN_DECLS and __END_DECLS. You should discuss that within dragonfly,
it does not matter a lot here (since existing setups can't be fixed without
upgrading).

> borrowed that from NetBSD).  Without fully understanding the issue,
> forcing all symbols to be exported by default disables the binutils
> visibility logic which is supposed to make c++ start faster due to
> smaller symbol tables, right?

No, that is not what I meant - I was just talking about the symbols exported
by <kvm.h>. Basically:

#ifdef __DragonFly__ // and gcc is in use (??)
#pragma to push visibility=default
#endif
#include <kvm.h>
#ifdef __DragonFly__
#pragma to pop visibility
#endif

This will make the symbols from libkvm public, but only those that are
referenced inside the object. It will still allow lazy loading of libkvm
at runtime once the first plugin is activated.

Martin