Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/graphics/xzgv

On 12/16/2011 11:18 AM, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 11:10:49AM +0100, John Marino wrote:
>> I knew that my commits would generate discussion, and I welcome it.
>> What's the best way to deal with this?  The last thing I want to do is
>> break a package for another platform, so that's my main driver after
>> fixing DragonFly breakage.
>
> Is there any option in the new ld that avoids the symbol searching part
> of the change? The not copying of DT_NEEDED is just fine (and a sane
> change). The change to symbol resolution is completely insane, however.
>
> Martin

The command line option is "--copy-dt-needed-entries"
Permanently patching the source code for ld is the other option, but I'm
not sure that's desired by the project at this point.

I think what's getting lost here is that some of these existing indirect
symbol resolutions are not intended.  In other words, ld v2.22 is
flushing out mistakes.  And "some" might be "most".  It's probably not
as insane as you are making it out to be.

For what it's worth, Fedora and Debian are keeping the new default and
fixing their packages.

John