Re: why is replace.mk complaining about gsed?

On 12/10/2011 2:42 AM, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 01:45:14AM +0100, John Marino wrote:

So far you have been asserting that over and over again, but haven't
answered Obata's question of how to reproduce it.

Obviously it's platform-specific. The whole setup deals with platform specific files. The
fact that the doesn't see it on NetBSD means nothing.

An obvious possibility is that the original author screwed up by
thinking defined/undefined
couldn't happen when it legitimately can.
To iterate:
1) It's wrong to assume that replace.mk is correct and
defined/undefined combo is wrong
You haven't provided any real evidence to support this.
Nor have you provided the rationale that says this combination is impossible in good setup. You took the same exact attitude about the openssl detection, saying that just because you couldn't reproduce the error then it was not worth investigating further. Obviously that turned out to be a long-standing bug. This pkgsrc makefile system is NOT bug free and the fact that it's used a lot time without apparent problems doesn't mean the report of a
new problem is suspect.

2) Even if defined/undefined indicates a bug, it is a harmless one
and preferable to a
broken package.
I completely disagree on this. Most cases of "this is an harmless error,
let's silently ignore it" have created head aches in the past. Broken
dependencies are a good example of this. Magic workarounds without a
clear understanding of the code and the (supposed) bugs are just bogus.
They do not help.

Joerg
Look at the code.  In the case of sed:
Given:
_USE_TOOLS contains the element "g
_TOOLS_DEPMETHOD.gsed is empty

Result of allowing empty _TOOLS_DEPMETHOD.gsed variable:
The condition is not met and _TOOLS_DEPMETHOD.gsed remains empty.

If _TOOLS_DEPMETHOD.gsed being an empty string doesn't affect negatively
any other makefile, then it's harmless (regardless if the condition itself is a
bug or just some case the original author didn't consider)

Now I have some bad news.
I just reset the mk/tools/replace.mk file to it's original state and I'm no longer seeing
_TOOLS_DEPMETHOD.gsd undefined.  I haven't pulled from the repository,
nothing should have affected it, but now I can't reproduce this anymore. I may have rebooted my server in the meantime, but that's the only thing I can think of that
changed.