Re: RFC: distbb for cross-compiling packages

Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> writes:

>> I'm familiar with autotools terminology and avoided using it explicitely
>> because I think the word "host" says nothing.  This is why used
>> "build platform" (platform of the system where we build the software
>> using cross-tools) and
>> "target platform" (platform we build the software for).
>> If you think host/target is better I'm fine with it. No problem.
>
> I don't think it's better; I was just pointing out confusion.
> Perhaps doc/HOWTO-crosscompile can just define "build" and "target"
> explicitly and then we can just use them.   The Canadian Cross situation
> is odd, and I don't think we really need to deal with it.

By 'confusion' I didn't mean to imply that you were confused, but rather that
these terms get used differently by different people in difference
contexts, and I find the subject of terminology for cross builds to be
fraught with the potential for misunderstanding.