Re: pkg_install in base system again

On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 02:34:16AM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 07:57:50PM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > As far as pkg_setup goes, though, I'm not a fan.  The idea of
> > downloading a binary package that I install on my system is not really
> > my idea of fun/how it should be done/scalable/nice/unsurprising/neat -
> > can't we just exec the version in our pkg trees, please.
>
> Which version is that?
> What is your suggested solution, in detail? I don't get it from this mail.

Have the master source in pkgsrc.

Part of bootstrap is installing new pkg_install binaries into ${PREFIX}/sbin.

In src/, modify the pkg_install sources to check for the existence of
${PREFIX}/sbin/pkg_*, and if not there, output a warning about new
bootstrap needed. If there, exec the version in ${PREFIX}/sbin.

The version of pkg_install that we have now in pkgsrc is closely
coupled to the version of pkgsrc that we have (due to compiled-in
licenses, and let's not go there in this discussion, please), so
divorcing the version of pkg_install from pkgsrc is not a smart idea.

Regards,
Alistair