Re: pkg_install in base system again

 >> Without arguments pkg_setup downloads the package from
 >> ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/$OPSYS/$ARCH/$OSVER.

> Can we create a "pkg" set that sysinst optionally installs and run the
> pkgdb update command automatically if that set is selected?

I have no strong opinion here but I think running pkg_setup
is a trivial operation. I don't see reasons for additional set
and modifying sysinst. At least for now.
Also idea is to always use a recent version of pkg_install.

> How do we handle transition from builtin pkg_add on older versions of NetBSD
> to the new state (when doint a sysinst upgrade)?

- reconfigure bulk builds for all suported NetBSD to use
  pkg_install from /usr/pkg/sbin instead of /usr/sbin.

- reimplement /usr/sbin/pkg_* tools as

  #!/bin/sh
  /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_xxx "$@"

  in netbsd-{4,5,5-1} branches and make minor releases.

I think this would be enough.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.