Re: 64 bit MACHINE_ARCH on solaris vs. pkg_install

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 12:24:27PM -0500, Tim Zingelman wrote:
> On solaris 'uname -p' reports a 32 bit processor (sparc or i386) even
> when the actual CPU is 64 bit capable (sparc64 or x86_64)
>
> As a result, bootstrapping with --abi=64 is not enough to get pkgsrc
> into a 64 bit frame of mind.

I have a couple of patches for that. They touch quite a bit of
infrastructure stuff, so they have to wait until after 2011Q2 is
branched.

Some packages and most of the builtin stuff also needs to be touched to
work in a 64bit environment. There are also some packages that don't
support 64bit Solaris at all, like gcc. That makes it hard to use pkgsrc
gcc, which I usually do to avoid the outdated Solaris gcc.

> Adding MACHINE_ARCH=x86_64 (for instance) to mk.conf is a partial fix,
> but with DESTDIR results in not being able to install anything, due to
> packages being tagged as x86_64 but pkg_install thinking the current
> system is i386.  It seems like pkgsrc needs some ugly exception code
> for solaris?  or is there something I am missing?  should we wrap
> uname to check mk.conf and provide the 64 bit answers if appropriate?

I wouldn't do that, just for the reason that not everything works with
ABI=64.

Hans

--
%SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown