Re: deprecate --fetch-cmd option of bootstrap script

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 08:00:14PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 07:26:37PM +0200, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > the idea of the bootstrap script is for users to be able to run this
> > once, and have everything set up for them so that they can just start
> > using pkgsrc. the original bootstrap script was done that way for a
> > reason.
> >
> > so joerg's suggestion might have been well meant, but falls short of
> > what is expected.
>
> I disagree. The default should just work -- if there are still specific
> reasons for chosing something else, ok. The only major reason I have
> heard of for not wanting tnftp are:
> (1) It requires ncurses on many systems, so doesn't build out of the
> box.
>
> (2) It doesn't support HTTPS.
>
> For those platforms, fetch would be a saner default. The second part of
> course only applies if OpenSSL can be found natively.

Yeah, I think you're missing something - the default does just work.

But what we're talking about here is the ability to run the bootstrap
script and have the results just work, whether or not the user has an
aversion to tnftp or not.  We know from bug reports that there are
users in that class.  So we have to cater for them, rather than just
ignoring them.

Regards,
Alistair