Re: deprecate --fetch-cmd option of bootstrap script

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 07:26:37PM +0200, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> the idea of the bootstrap script is for users to be able to run this
> once, and have everything set up for them so that they can just start
> using pkgsrc. the original bootstrap script was done that way for a
> reason.
>
> so joerg's suggestion might have been well meant, but falls short of
> what is expected.

I disagree. The default should just work -- if there are still specific
reasons for chosing something else, ok. The only major reason I have
heard of for not wanting tnftp are:
(1) It requires ncurses on many systems, so doesn't build out of the
box.

(2) It doesn't support HTTPS.

For those platforms, fetch would be a saner default. The second part of
course only applies if OpenSSL can be found natively.

Joerg