Re: PKG_SYSCONFDIR: use a subdirectory for two files?

On 5/30/11 3:46 PM, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 03:26:23PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:

That said, I *think* the program should work fine if you just pass
--sysconfdir=${PKG_SYSCONFDIR} to the configure script?

You're assuming a GNU style configure script.

No, I wasn't, although I got confused. I saw --sysconfdir in makeconfig and assumed this flag was available. On a second look, it isn't.

This isn't available,
and I want to know whether to change what's there or switch the pkgsrc
Makefile back to install to where users actually had their configuration
scripts all those years - if they installed any.

I think I'll go for the latter.

If I understand what you intend to do: no, it's wrong. You can't put configuration files in PREFIX/etc. You must patch the package to install the configuration files to a examples directory and then use the install scripts to put these files in PKG_SYSCONFDIR. Which means you also have to patch the package to read the files from PKG_SYSCONFDIR (what's typically done with --sysconfdir).

For the default case, this will "just work" because PKG_SYSCONFBASE defaults to PREFIX/etc.

If what you mean is that you want to drop the PKG_SYSCONFSUBDIR thingy, that sounds OK to me. But the package seems to also need fixing to properly honor the PKG_SYSCONFDIR directory.

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv