Re: fallout from recent devel/gettext-lib 0.18.1.1 update

> I'm running Darwin 10.7 32-bit (Mac OS X 10.6.7 with Xcode 3.2.6).  I
> upgraded gettext-lib from 0.14.6 to 0.18.1.1 using pkg_rolling-replace.
> libintl from 0.18.1.1 has a different soname, and this caused a few problems:
>
>  * textproc/libxslt and security/libgcrypt link against libintl, but they
> don't directly depend on devel/gettext-lib.  (I think they build successfully
> because they depend on something that depends on devel/gettext-lib.)  I
> believe this prevented pkg_rolling-replace from adding them to UNSAFE_TODO,
> so they were never rebuilt.
>
>  * devel/flex and devel/bison both depend on gettext-lib, and
> pkg_rolling-replace correctly added them to UNSAFE_TODO, but other packages
> in MISMATCH_TODO and UNSAFE_TODO that use flex and/or bison at build time
> were somehow tsorted first.  Perhaps those other packages don't directly
> depend on flex/bison despite directly using them?  (I didn't write down the
> names of the problematic packages, but I think security/mit-krb5 was one of
> them.)
>
>  * On Mac OS X, /usr/include/X11/Xlocale.h and /usr/include/xlocale.h (both
> supplied by Apple) use the same '#ifndef _XLOCALE_H_' include guard.
> libintl.h (from gettext-lib 0.18.1.1) #includes xlocale.h, and a file in
> devel/m17n-lib #includes both X11/Xlocale.h and libintl.h, so both
> X11/Xlocale.h and xlocale.h get included at the same time.  Due to the
> colliding include guards, the build fails.  This is an X bug that was fixed
> in X.org upstream [1] (by an Apple employee) but the fix hasn't yet made it
> down to Mac OS X.
>
> My questions for you:
>  * Is pkg_rolling-replace not the right way to upgrade gettext-lib?
>  * Is there an easy way to find all packages that link against libintl but
> don't directly depend on devel/gettext-lib so that the dependencies can be
> fixed?  (Is adding a dependency on devel/gettext-lib the correct fix?)
>  * Is there an easy way to find all packages that use flex or bison during
> build but don't directly depend on them?
>  * Is there an easy way to prevent a package from linking against a library
> if it doesn't directly depend on the package providing that library?
>  * Is it possible for pkgsrc to work around the _XLOCALE_H_ include guard bug?
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

As for Xlocale.h, my suggestion is either not to use X11 at all, by providing
PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS=-x11 in mk.conf (most important graphical packages swith to
Cocoa/Quartz and utilise Mac OS X user interface), or switch to XQuartz
(http://xquartz.macosforge.org/). The latter installs in /opt, so you'll need
to add X11BASE=/opt/X11 to your mk.conf. The only problem I had with XQuartz (I
am not using X11 on Mac OS X any more) is, since it doesn't have imake, some
X11 packages are not detected at built-in and build anyway.

Kind regards,
Adam