Re: UUID package for PostgreSQL

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 09:05:57AM -0700, Brook Milligan wrote:
 >  >  > - Successful building of this depends on my recent change to
 >  >  >   postgresqlXX-client/Makefile to correct the definition of LD.  Does
 >  >  >   that mean that the revision for the -client packages should be
 >  >  >   bumped?
 >  >
 >  > It should have been anyway if the installed files were changed...
 >
 > So, the policy is that whenever _any_ installed file changes then bump
 > the revision?

Yeah. Basically the premise is that anything that would result in a
different binary package should be accompanied by a version bump, so
that the different binary package actually gets built, and so the
new stuff can be named in DEPENDS if necessary.

 > In this case the installed file could not have worked correctly as it
 > defined LD=/usr/pkg/bin/ld.  Any package that depended on this file
 > would fail as soon as it tried to execute ${LD}.  My thought was that
 > bumping the revision would lead to unnecessary rebuilds, until some
 > package depends on actually using the value of ${LD}.

True, but then someone who's rebuilt in the interim for some other
reason ends up doing an unnecessary rebuild. I guess if no such
package appears until the next time the postgresql client package is
updated or bumped for some other reason you come out ahead... but not
really by all that much. Plus there's the chance that someone will end
up trying to use this from wip or from their own local packages, at
which point the resulting confusion (e.g. the "same" package works on
one machine but not another) can end up costing a good deal more than a
recompile does.

 > Perhaps that logic is not correct and the stricter logic should
 > prevail.  Is there any case when an installed file changes that the
 > revision should _not_ be bumped?

I can't think of any offhand but I'm sure some random strange cases
exist.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost