Re: bsd.own.mk - Re: pkg/44425: devel/lua-alt-getopt install problem

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:45:26PM +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:
> At 21:52 Uhr +0100 20.01.2011, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> >> What do you think of the patch (against netbsd-5) in
> >> <http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-bugs/2011/01/20/msg041359.html>?
> >> Arguably NEED_OWN_INSTALL_TARGET is the knob that should take care of the
> >> issue, and after the patch it does.
> >
> >The core problem is that you insist on building things inside the NetBSD
> >src tree, but can't live with the resulting fallout.
>
> I've run that configuration for ~ten years, without any fallout.

I find it more likely that you just never noticed the obvious
differences in behavior.

> > Sorry, but I
> >consider this a classic case of "Don't do that". The easiest workarounds
> >are WORKOBJDIRPREFIX or just moving the pkgsrc tree. I don't consider
> >any hacks for this appropiate and hope the one that was committed gets
> >reverted.
>
> Jörg,
>
> may I ask you to look at the above patch before venting, and tell me where,
> in your view, it goes wrong?

It doesn't fix any of the other side effects. Haev you considered
looking through bsd.own.mk first for why you hit this in first place?

> Arguably, <bsd.own.mk> has no business configuring install target related
> variables (here: INSTPRIV) when you (or pkgsrc) set NEED_OWN_INSTALL_TARGET
> in order to signal you'll take care of installation yourself.

NEED_OWN_INSTALL_TARGET is a red hering.

Joerg