Re: bsd.own.mk - Re: pkg/44425: devel/lua-alt-getopt install problem

At 21:52 Uhr +0100 20.01.2011, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>> What do you think of the patch (against netbsd-5) in
>> <http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-bugs/2011/01/20/msg041359.html>?
>> Arguably NEED_OWN_INSTALL_TARGET is the knob that should take care of the
>> issue, and after the patch it does.
>
>The core problem is that you insist on building things inside the NetBSD
>src tree, but can't live with the resulting fallout.

I've run that configuration for ~ten years, without any fallout.

> Sorry, but I
>consider this a classic case of "Don't do that". The easiest workarounds
>are WORKOBJDIRPREFIX or just moving the pkgsrc tree. I don't consider
>any hacks for this appropiate and hope the one that was committed gets
>reverted.

Jörg,

may I ask you to look at the above patch before venting, and tell me where,
in your view, it goes wrong?

Arguably, <bsd.own.mk> has no business configuring install target related
variables (here: INSTPRIV) when you (or pkgsrc) set NEED_OWN_INSTALL_TARGET
in order to signal you'll take care of installation yourself.

Fixing that is not a hack.

        hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
     Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-3281