Re: Moving mk.conf

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 08:42:35PM +0300, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
> Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > What I've always done for multiple pkgsrc trees is:
> >
> > in /etc/mk.conf
> >
> > .ifdef BSD_PKG_MK
> > .  if exists(${.CURDIR}/../../pkgsrc.conf)
> > .    include "${.CURDIR}/../../pkgsrc.conf"
> > .  elif exists(${.CURDIR}/../pkgsrc.conf)
> > .    include "${.CURDIR}/../pkgsrc.conf"
> > .  elif exists(${.CURDIR}/pkgsrc.conf)
> > .    include "${.CURDIR}/pkgsrc.conf"
> > .  endif
> > .endif
> >
> > To explain further, there's a file called pkgsrc.conf file in the
> > top-level pkgsrc instance which includes definitions specific to that
> > tree, like PKG_DBDIR, LOCALBASE, etc.  It's automatically called from
> > a central /etc/mk.conf.
> >
> > I'm sorry if this is "the wrong way to do it", since no-one told me.
>
> You're free to do anything you like, but I don't see how it helps others.
>
> This ties pkgsrcdir to localbase, and I don't find it helpful at all.
> Such configuration is helpful to change options and similar parameters,
> but not localbase. And packages with different options set can't coexist
> under the same localbase usually.

I had a much lengthier piece of mail composed to reply to this, but on
reading it over again, I realised that we were talking past each other.

This is mainly because I haven't the faintest clue what you're trying
to achieve, and, when I think I do find something, it's overlaid with
dogma and religion about assumptions that things must be done in a
certain way.  pkgsrc was designed to be flexible, to be able to
co-exist in a number of different instances, and installed
hierarchies, which is why I'm having problems here.

So help me out here, please - what exactly are you trying to achieve?

Thanks,
Alistair