Re: packages requiring ar and nm

Am 04.04.2010 um 23:16 schrieb David Holland:

>>> I would say "Fix your shell path".
>>
>> I wouldn't. I see ar and nm as regular tools like all the others. The
>> setting of PATH at the time of building packages should have little
>> influence on the tools. That's why they can be set explicitly in
>> mk.conf, isn't it?
>
> I'd agree. Also, it's a longstanding known issue that gcc builds need
> some of the binutils programs on the path. (Especially when building a
> crosscompiler, where it'll cheerfully try to use the native tools
> instead and crater.) The package ought to take care of it.

Well, technically it works fine having

USE_TOOLS+=     nm ar

But how does this affect other platforms?
Id there a list of valid entries for USE_TOOLS, i.e. tools oner can use in a
package and expect them to be taken care of appropriately on all platforms?

--
Georg Schwarz  http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
georg.schwarz%freenet.de@localhost +49 170 8768585