Re: packages requiring ar and nm

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 12:32:54AM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
>>> I tried to build lang/gcc3-c on Solaris 8. This fails when ar and nm
>>> cannot be found in the shell path.
>>
>> I would say "Fix your shell path".
>
> I wouldn't. I see ar and nm as regular tools like all the others. The
> setting of PATH at the time of building packages should have little
> influence on the tools. That's why they can be set explicitly in
> mk.conf, isn't it?

I'd agree. Also, it's a longstanding known issue that gcc builds need
some of the binutils programs on the path. (Especially when building a
crosscompiler, where it'll cheerfully try to use the native tools
instead and crater.) The package ought to take care of it.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost