Re: postgresql Makefile.shlib replacement - should we be doing this?

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 01:57:27PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> postgresql supports Darwin, and has ELF/not conditionals.  So I wonder
>> if this is still needed.
>
> So you want to keep the PLIST on the various platforms on sync by hand?

No, but postgis has problems because of our change, so it's not quite
that obvious.

>> The replacement file has problems with not getting the shmodule vs lib
>> decision right.  The real pgsql makefile switches off the major version
>> being defined (if so lib).
>
> I do not know what you actually mean with this.

pgsql's Makefile.shlib can do two separate things:

  build a regular shared library, that looks like
    $prefix/lib/libfoo.so.MAJ.MIN

  build a postgresql extension module, that looks like
    $prefix/lib/postgresql/foo.so

The replacement makefile does not correctly choose to build an extension
module when postgis expects it to; my investigation so far is that the
replacement Makefile is wrong.

But, I think the issues of getting the logic right and of the basic
libtool replacement are separate.