Re: postgresql Makefile.shlib replacement - should we be doing this?

Tobias Nygren <tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 08:36:42 -0500
> Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> So, would anyone object to no longer replacing Makefile.shlib?  If so,
>> could you edit the postgresql84-client Makefile and add comments
>> explaining why this replacement is necessary and why on balance it's a
>> good idea?  I'm not saying it's not - just that I don't understand and
>> it's not documented.
>
> I imagine the libtoolization is needed for the package to build
> correctly and/or for libpq consumers to link correctly on our
> non-ELF platforms (Darwin?).
>
> From the original commit message:
>
> ) * Libtoolize postgresql80 build so that the shared libraries and
> )   loadable shared modules are built using libtool.  This should make
> )   PostgreSQL 8.0.x in pkgsrc build correctly on more pkgsrc-supported
> )   platforms.  This is accomplished with the Makefile.libtool file
> )   which replaces the Makefile.shlib file in the PostgreSQL
> ) distribution.

I figured it was something like that.

postgresql supports Darwin, and has ELF/not conditionals.  So I wonder
if this is still needed.

The replacement file has problems with not getting the shmodule vs lib
decision right.  The real pgsql makefile switches off the major version
being defined (if so lib).