Re: Support for Mac OS X Snow Leopard

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 12:34:39PM +0000, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> >> I know that. But all Intel Macs execute them? Some of them use
> >> Core Duo (not Core *2* Duo) CPU which IIRC don't support
> >> 64 bit mode.
>
> All processors in Intel based Macs support 64-bit mode.

Do they really? Quoting from <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core>:

        The Intel Core Duo brand refers to the world's first low-power
        (less than 25 watts) Yonah dual-core microprocessor, [...]
        It was the first Intel processor to be used in Apple Macintosh
        products [...]

        Intel 64 (Intel's x86-64 implementation) is not supported by
        Yonah. However, Intel 64 support is integrated in Yonah's
        successor, the mobile version of Core 2, code-named Merom.

> > In the mean time, would adding a respective hacks.mk to the affected
> > packages help?
>
> Maybe there is a more clean (and generic) solution: ABI=32/64 support in
> compiler/linker wrappers with default values based on OS.

The best approach is proably to wrap the usual suspects (e.g. "uname")
to encourage programs to detect that the 64 bit API is used.

And we need to get "MACHINE_ARCH" and friends right for this case.

        Kind regards